St Mary's Church, Mold

St Mary's Church, Mold

The present church of St Mary the Virgin stands on the site of an earlier church built, presumably, by the Montalts sometime during their Lordship of Mold in the twelfth or early thirteenth century.

The building of the present church was initiated by Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond, to commemorate the victory of her son, Henry Tudor, at the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485. Previously, in 1482, Margaret Beaufort had married Thomas Stanley, Lord of Mold, King of Man, and at that time, Steward of the Royal Household.

Lord Stanley played a rather dubious part in Henry's campaign for the English Crown, seemingly preferring to wait for a clear indication of who was most likely to win before declaring his own position. Henry Tudor met Richard III in battle at Bosworth Field, near Leicester, and after some cautious hesitation, when Richard's cause seemed totally lost, Lord Stanley eventually joined his stepson and tradition has it that he picked up the fallen crown and placed it upon Henry's head.

Lord Stanley, as just reward for his pains, added the Earldom of Derby to his already considerable possessions in Wales and the Isle of Man. In thanksgiving for their good fortune, Lord Stanley and Margaret Beaufort endowed colleges at Oxford and Cambridge and undertook the rebuilding of several churches, including St Mary's, Mold.