Victorian resort of Llandudno

The Victorian resort of Llandudno

Llandudno lies between two notable carboniferous headlands, the Great Orme and the Little Orme, with the Irish Sea on one side and the estuary of the River Conwy on the other. It is these headlands and the two waterfronts, the North Shore and the West Shore, that give the tourist resort of Llandudno its special appeal.

Here Punch and Judy still entertain the children in the traditional manner, just as they have always done. 'Professor' Codman brought Punch to Llandudno in 1860 and the Codman family still run the puppet show daily during the summer on the wide promenade near the pier at the foot of the Great Orme.

Donkey and Pony Rides have been popular on Llandudno's sandy beach for over 125 years and continue to appeal to the children of all ages. They were introduced by Elizabeth Hughes (the Donkey Lady) and her family continue the tradition with others to the present day. At Llandudno there are usually donkey rides available on both of the town's immaculate beaches, on sunny summer days, subject to the tide tables.

The 2,295 foot long Llandudno Victorian Pier, greatly admired by Sir John Betjeman, was built in 1878. It is the longest pier in Wales and one of the finest recreational piers in Britain.

Llandudno - official tourism website of Conwy County Borough Council